This almanac will provide you with the following information relating to Kingston, Ontario:
History of Kingston
Calendar for festivals, holidays, eclipses, morning and evening stars, and legal and bank holidays
Population, debt, and various other statistics
The British Cabinet and Ontario Cabinet member lists
Origins of the Canadian people based upon the 1901 census
Health tips, humour columns, announcements, facts, recipes, currency conversion rates, and hunting information
Information on the Royal Family, including family lists with birth, marriage, and death dates
Photographs and Information relating to government leaders
Native groups first inhabited Kingston, located at the mouth of the Cataraqui River, around 500 AD. In 1673, the first French settlement was organized when Louis de Baude de Frontenac set up Fort Cataraqui (later called Fort Frontenac) to better regulate the fur trade. Fort Frontenac then became both a trading post and military base.
During the Seven Years’ War, the British seized and destroyed the settlement at the Battle of Fort Frontenac. However, with the American Revolutionary War in full swing, many Loyalists fled to Kingston in the 1780s, continuing settlement of the area. The British renamed the settlement King’s Town, later abbreviated to Kingston. Further settlement was made possible with the Crawford Purchase, which resulted in the British Crown’s acquisition of most of the eastern land on the north shore of Lake Ontario. In 1838, Kingston was incorporated as a town.
The British Whig began in 1834. Its founder was Edward John Barker. In 1926, the British Whig merged with the Kingston Daily Standard, which together formed the current Kingston Whig-Standard, which is still in publication, making it the oldest continuously published daily newspaper in Canada.